Cliffhanger rolling stock
The locomotives are mostly
scratch built in nickel silver or modified Backwoods kits. They are fitted
with Digitrax DZ125 chips.
Glenthorne Harbour railcars
"In 1929, a new diesel power unit was delivered
to replace steam traction for summer passenger services on the Harbour
Branch. This was built locally using two Gardner engines. One engine was
used for each direction as the gearboxes only had one reverse gear. The unit
has proved to be less than reliable and it is not unusual to find the
original push pull coaches being pressed into service with a steam
The growing popularity of the Glenthorne Harbour
branch and the Lido brought considerable much welcomed traffic to the Lynton
and Minehead Railway. The Glenthorne Harbour Authority found themselves
extremely short of passenger capacity. Following some robust negotiations at
the Tor Hotel, the GHA was able to purchase railcar 302. This was one of the
first railcars delivered to the main line. Due to the stiff gradients, it
was found that it was necessary to remove the first combo car from the
"Two of the original coaches were re-used and
converted to push pull configuration when a summer service was re-instated
on the Harbour Branch in 1928. Lighting was required in the long tunnels of
the branch. Both the loco and the coaches were fitted with acetylene
generators which operated large lamps." The locomotive used will be our
4-6-0 ex WD Baldwin.
"In 1910, two 0-4-0-0-4-0 Garratt locomotives
were purchased (no 4 & 5). These were developments of the compound K1
Garratts supplied to Tasmania the previous year. They were chosen to handle
heavier loads up the steep winding grades from the port."
Hunslet No 1
Glenthorne Harbour Authority always ploughed their own furrow, ordering two
2-6-2 Hunslet locomotives which were the precursors to the successful
'Russell' delivered to North Wales in 1906. These engines, No. 1 and No. 2
were slightly more powerful than the later 'Russell'. "
"As the harbour traffic increased, it became
clear that an additional locomotive was needed. In 1906, they purchased from
Baldwin, USA, at very good terms, a 2-6-4 tank locomotive which became the
only locomotive to carry a name; 'Ben Halliday'. Hunslet No.2 was damaged
beyond repair in a serious rock fall accident when entering Glenthorne
Harbour in April 1912. The Baldwin was then numbered No 2."
Kitson Meyer No 6
"The Glenthorne locomotive fleet have a very
hard life and by the end of the first World War, were in quite poor
condition. An opportunity to purchase a Kitson Meyer articulated locomotive
presented itself. It had been left on the makers hands and was available for
sale at a very attractive price. It was delivered to the railway in 1919 and
was placed on the rails at Minehead. After a short commissioning by Kitson
staff, it was driven to County Gate and entered service the following week.
It is one of the most powerful locomotives of the whole system and is much kinder to
the track than the Garratt."
Hudswell Clarke No
Again left on the makers hands, this powerful
Mikado tender engine was delivered to the branch in 1920.
Peckett No 12
North British Pacific No
Main line special charter
Very occasionally, a main line train is run to
the harbour as a special. This could be hauled by a Manning Wardle or North
British or even a railcar.
Kerr Stuart Mikado No 11
Delivered in 1924, the powerful locomotive was
bought new from Kerr Stuart to the same design as those being delivered to
Gwalior Railway in India.
Hunslet 2-8-4T No 14
This is the latest loco to be delivered new to
goods rolling stock is either L&B (brown livery) or
Glenthorne Harbour Authority (grey livery) and is mostly