Glenthorne Harbour Authority
The Harbour Authority purchased their own colliers in 1919 and named them
'Glenthorne Rose' and 'Glenthorne Oak'. These vessels had been built in 1898
and 1900 respectively.
The 'Oak' was 228 feet long and was built by
Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. of Wallsend-on-Tyne
The 'Rose' was 209 feet and built by Ropner Shipyard at Stockton-on-Tees
A local wag attributed their survival through the Great War to the Germans
not thinking them worth a torpedo! The 'Oak' floundered with the loss of
seven hands, off Heddon's Mouth after striking a rock during the great storm
of 1921. It was not replaced, and the tragedy ended the aspirations of the
Glenthorne Estate to develop a shipping line.
All that was left of the 'Oak' the following
Following the sinking, the estate built a
navigational beacon. The lost crew of the 'Oak' were
commemorated on a brass plaque fixed to its base.
Against all odds, the 'Rose' continues to regularly bring coal to the harbour.
In happier times, the 'Oak' unloading coal at Glenthorne Harbour. An unidentified Garratt can be seen on the wharf
(photo: Glenthorne Estate)
The 'Rose' at Glenthorne Harbour