CLIFFHANGER - INTRODUCTION


Glenthorne Harbour Authority rolling stock

The Harbour Authority had six coaches delivered for the opening of the branch lines. Coaches nos. 1,3 and 4 were assigned to the Porlock Branch and are still in service there. After the cessation of passenger service during the Great War on the harbour branch, brake coach No.2 was converted to all third and remained in use for the workmen's service. Most of the storage sheds at Doone Sidings had been requisitioned for war purposes so coaches nos. 5 and 6 slowly deteriorated outside.


Pickering composite brake as delivered


Pickering all third

These were subsequently re-used and converted to push pull configuration when a summer service was re-instated on the Harbour Branch in 1928. Lighting was required in the long tunnels of the branch. Both the loco and the coaches were fitted with acetylene generators  which operated large lamps. The colour of the loco lamp would be changed to red by placing a red filter over the lamp optic.
 


 

Glenthorne Coaching Stock

GHA no.

Coach Type

Manufacture

Date

1

Composite brake

Pickering

1902

2

Composite brake

Pickering

1902

3

Third

Pickering

1902

4

Third

Pickering

1902

5

Third

Pickering

1902

6

Third

Pickering

1902

 

Glenthorne Goods Stock

GHA no.

Wagon Type

Manufacture Date
1 Bogie open wagon BWC 1902
2 Bogie open wagon BWC 1902
3 Bogie open wagon BWC 1902
4 Bogie open wagon BWC 1902
5 Bogie open wagon BWC 1902
6 Bogie open wagon BWC 1902
7 Bogie open wagon BWC 1902
8 Bogie open wagon BWC 1902
9 Bogie open wagon BWC 1902
10 Bogie open wagon BWC 1902
11 Bogie open wagon BWC 1902
12 Bogie goods van BWC 1902
13 Bogie goods van BWC 1902
14 Bogie goods van BWC 1902
15 Bogie brake van BWC 1902
16 Bogie brake van BWC 1902
17 4 W brake van BWC 1902
18 Bogie platform wagon BWC 1902
19 Bogie platform wagon BWC 1902

 

liveries


Glenthorne coaching stock was originally painted in Indian red with ivory upper panels. In recent years, coaches are painted in plain brick red.

GHA wagon stock was originally painted grey with ironwork picked out in black. The full GHA crest varnish transfers were applied. By 1920, wagons were painted overall grey and a simplified logo stencilled on.